Over the last four years, my hobby of fish keeping has grown in dimensions and depth. Not only have I increased the number of fish tanks from someone to seven to-date, I have also familiar with breading of various kind of Cichlids species.
From my observations, many people are discouraged from taking up the hobby as a result of perception that it’s a task to keep up the fishes and the fish tank. However, my experience informs me that the benefits of fish keeping greatly outweighed the chores that it requires.
1. Brings Home a Section of Nature
Whenever I see shoals of fishes in the reservoir or pond, there is always an instant rush of joy. As I engross in watching the fish, it gradually put me in a state of mental calm. Water and the fishes has the initial capability to calm your brain and evoke immense joy. I have been curious about the fishes’behavior, and always tempted to pursue an even more intimate experience with the fishes.
Keeping the fishes at home supplies the opportunities to view the fishes close up and personal. I can study the initial behaviors of the fishes in the tank, which I cannot possibly do even at the reservoir or the pond. For under one hundred dollars, it’s possible to make a miniature little bit of nature at home. It is indeed a great and ingenious hobby. It provides me the convenience to comprehend the wonder of tropical fishes as and when I wanted.
It also satisfies my desire to achieve more in-depth knowledge of fish behavior as an aspiring aqua scientist. Over the last several years, I’d experienced the joy of successfully breeding a lot more than ten species of Cichlid fish. I consider this an important and exciting experience not just for myself, but in addition my loved ones especially my seven-year old son.
Keeping fish offer another avenue to produce my creative talent – aqua landscaping.
Occasionally, I reach exercise my creativity in landscape design by changing the rock formation in the tank. The entire idea of doing this is to simulate a brand new environment for the fishes, and enable the fishes to re-establish their territories. This is actually essential when new fishes are introduced into the tank whereby all territories have now been entrenched by existing number of fishes. After changing the whole rock formation, the fishes will reward you instantly by spending the following few hours swimming tirelessly in and from the new rock formation, wanting to familiarize themselves with the brand new ground and to ascertain new territory for themselves.
Whenever I’m free, I will sit in front of the fish tank and observe the fish, sometime for approximately an hour. It is interesting to note that the fish demonstrates many kinds of social behavior that closely resemble human behavior in the corporate world. I will attempt to create another article on more information of these social behavior of fishes.
Watching the fish swimming gracefully in the tank with their dazzling colors can indeed put one into deep relaxation and even into a state of trance.
My mind instantly feel more stimulating when I watch the fishes. As I allow my eyes to follow along with the fishes and be fascinated with the fishes’graceful body movement and moving colors, I drift deeper into relaxation. It is extremely therapeutic. It is a wonderful way to provide my mind some slack far from work and get a power recharge. With the stress that we experience inevitably within our fast-pace lifestyle, creating channels for relaxation is an important part of healthy lifestyle to help keep stress from increasing and maintain good health.
As well as exercise, meditation and music, fish keeping has added another avenue to enrich my entire life, helping me to reside an entirely and healthier life.
3. Education for Children
A lot of the students are fascinated with fishes when they see the catch the very first time, usually in the proper execution of a visit to the neighborhood fish shop or fish farm. Keeping fish at home can teach the youngsters several good stuff:
* They will find out about the habitats of the fish and other aquatic life.
* They learn how to look after the small aquatic animals and plants.
* When they start keeping fish, they will be instilled a feeling of responsibility towards another living creature.
* They learn and understand the essential of water treatment and how to keep up suitable water quality for the fish to reside and to even stimulate breeding. This knowledge will serve then well in future when they study science and chemistry in school.
* They could witness the life span cycle of fish species, that’ll enable them to comprehend biology.
* Most importantly, they will derive great pleasure from watching the fishes display a varieties of personalities. Through observing the intricate features and behavior of fishes, the youngsters will enhance their observation skills.
* The care of fish is a good learning experience for young children. When the little one is able to take excellent care of the fish, they will usually manage to witness successful fish breeding. This will boost their confidence in the hobby along with their ability.
4. Create Energy Flow at Home
I use the overhead filters for the few bigger tanks in the living room. The water flows down from the filter box through the pipe, creating a calming water-trickling sound in the living room. Whilst the water flow hit the water surface, strings of water bubbles are created. This bubbles synchronizes perfectly with the sound of water flow, like having a piece of relaxing instrumental music playing continuously.